- About Us
- Our Programs
- Farmland Wildlife
- History of Farming in Delta
- How You Can Help
Day at the Farm Community Event
Delta Farmland and Wildlife Trust (DF&WT) is arranging the 10th Anniversary “Day at the Farm” community event to be held on September 12th, 2015. This is one of the most exciting agricultural fairs in the Lower Mainland because it provides visitors the opportunity to connect with real farms, real farmers, and real food. The event takes place at Westham Island Herb Farm.
Our goal is to help educate our communities about the nature and importance of agriculture and non-market environmental services that it provides. The event will feature the very popular hay-wagon farm tours (led by 3rd generation farmer Gordon Ellis), as well as:
- Live Cash and Carter Tribute Show starring Tony Barton and Tracey Neff!
- Live Mini-Auction
- Homemade Muffin Contest*
- BC Fresh Potato Dig
- Vancouver Food Trucks featuring Delta ingredients!
- Antique Tractors and Farm Equipment
- BC Dairy Association Mobile Dairy Classroom
- BC Agriculture in the Classroom and student chefs preparing local fare
- Wildlife Conservation on Farmland
- AND MUCH MORE!!
* Homemade Muffin Contest: Bring a batch of home-made muffins using local produce and enter the contest. Awards for the tastiest muffins! Contest is judged by a professional chef and starts at the Show Stage at NOON!
BRING A NON-PERISHABLE FOOD ITEM TO DONATE TO THE FOOD BANK! FARM CREDIT CANADA STAFF WILL BE ON SITE TO COLLECT!
- Get To Know SOME OF OUR WILDLIFE:
- Northern Shrike Known as the "Butcher Bird," the Shrike impales prey on thorns to attract mates and mark its territory.
- Lesser Snow Goose Snow Geese congregate on farm fields by the tens of thousands searching for potatoes, grain, and grass.
- Bumblebee These insects benefit farmers by pollinating crops. They find refuges in Grassland Set-asides and Hedgerows.